(You can read the first part of this spotlight here.)
The first obstacle I ran into with this commission came as I gave the pattern my first thorough read through. Like so many women’s fashions, there were no pockets provided. This is a topic I feel passionately about. Your typical wedding dress can possibly, maybe be excuses for not having pockets. the assumption being that the wearer will have attendants to hold keys, wallet, makeup, what have you. This outfit, however, is meant to be worn on other occasions, so pockets are necessary.
Fortunately, I’ve had experience the last few months with adding pockets to normally pocket free patterns. Other than that alteration, the construction of the outfit for the fitting was straight forward. The top is an unlined vest and the pants were much easier than I had anticipated. The newly reorganized workshop helped immensely.
Having room to maneuver also made the fitting a more pleasant experience.
A.C. has a very slender build, meaning a need for some alteration to the bust to eliminate a gap at the armpit and taking in where the vest hits the hips a bit to reduce the flare. The pants, however, could stay a little loose to accommodate the pockets.
Marking the hem was a little tricky as the fabric didn’t want to cooperate, but we got it figured out. And that was that. For a wedding outfit, this has been one of the easiest going projects I’ve done in a long while.
Next time I’ll have pictures of the finished outfit.