Sometimes you get an idea that is so obvious you wonder why you didn’t think of it before. They’re the kind of ideas that when you tell people they say, “Holy shit, yeah! That’s a great idea!” I don’t think these moments of inspiration really pop up out of the blue. They might seem that way because the inspirational components are so buried in the background they’re forgotten.
I don’t want to overlook the inspirations for these skirts, so I am going to first give a shout out to the three fairy godmothers of this project.
Justine, a real life mermaid, sparked the idea by asking me about making her some skirts. Nothing fancy, no bustles or flounces, just some comfy circle skirts.
Shortly afterwards Moira, an artist of Victorian morbidity, mentioned seeing skirts with pockets at an event where she was vending. They weren’t fandom or SF/Fantasy specific, just simple A-line skirts with pockets. Women were buying them up in armfuls.
Finally comes Jennifer, a savvy lady who has run vending halls for various events. While I was at Anime Midwest a couple of weeks ago, I lamented to her about how there was all this awesome, licensed fabric that I wanted to use but I couldn’t because of the fine print on the selvages. I felt it was unethical to make projects to sell from licensed fabric when the companies wouldn’t get compensation. And it always bothered me that it seemed so many others didn’t have those same qualms.
“You can use that fabric for projects you sell,” she told me. After some research I realized that she was right. The fine print on the selvages was unenforceable by the companies. But more importantly, the companies got their licensing fees in the first sale of the fabric. After that First Sale of Doctrine kicks in. Never have I been so happy to be so wrong.
So skirts + pockets + licensed fabric = geeky clothes for Salt Lake Comic Con. If it hadn’t been for these three friends I wouldn’t have spent the last four weeks experimenting until I came up with this:
I started off with dirndl skirts (rectangles gathered to a wide waistband). But those really only look good on kids and teens. I played around with a simple A-line panel pattern which came out looking much more grown up.
I have drafted six sizes from small to 3XL (fitting waists from 22″-59″). Each one features two interior side pockets and a wide elastic waistband. I’m spending the next few weeks making up as many as I can for SLCC. I’ve got an album of what I’ve made so far and the fabrics used over at the Idiorhythmic Designs FB page. Check it out.
When I’m back from SLCC, I’ll put together a tutorial on how to make one to your own measurements and post it here.