I’ve been reading blog posts the last couple months about packing up to move: tips on box size, labels, if you are using a moving company, if you aren’t, lists to make, things to do, ways to pickup your life in one place and shift it to another location.
Those posts don’t cover things like how to deal with the unexpected emotional fallout when you realize you have to leave your plants behind. There’s no advice in how to fend off a feeling of panic when you have to break up the set of glassware you got from your great grandmother, packing the glasses in one box and the bottles in another. I have yet to find any tips on how to decide what to pack and what to get rid of when you don’t know how long your belongings will be in storage.
The consent judgement will be entered into record on June 12. That is our vacate date. I learned it yesterday. There was, not a sense of relief, but a recognition and determination that filled me when I read the e-mail. After months of not knowing when I had to leave my house, now I had a date. Now I can shut down utilities and start packing in earnest. Now I have one less “I don’t know” hanging over my head.
Now I know when I become officially homeless.
It’s not that we don’t have a plan. We will be driving out to Laramie, where I have family and my husband has a job offer. He and our son and our cats will be staying with my cousin and his family until they can move into a house we’ll be leasing from a friend. After they’ve been dropped off, my daughter and I turn around and head back to Illinois. That’s where it gets complicated.
My petition to relocate hasn’t been approved. The pre-trial hearing is scheduled for the end of June, with the actual hearing following in mid-July. And so I have to stay in Illinois with my daughter until I find out if I will be able to take her to Laramie with me. The plan is for us to crash with friends, stay in hotels and camp. It sounds all very adventurous, but I will admit to being anxious about the whole thing.
There is still the possibility that my relocation request will be denied. In that case we have to head back to Wyoming to get my son and husband and cats and bring them back to Illinois and find a place to live. Seeing how the idea is to move to a place where the cost of living is cheaper and there is a support structure, staying in Illinois sees me stuck in the same situation I have been over the past year.
There is no alternative, however. I will not live someplace where I can’t have my daughter with me.
So I keep packing boxes, hoping to get everything packed up in time so I can finish the reshoot of pictures for Sew Witchy. I will continue to run the 50% off sale over at my Etsy store until the 9th of June. Then I’ll shut it all down. I will try to stay so busy that my Jerk Brain doesn’t have time to work its way back into existence.