Costuming My Kids pt. 2: Skyrim Sword Sheath

We are a month into the shelter-in-place order here in Illinois. It’s been a long month of finding ways for everyone to work from home, learn remotely, and not drive each other to distraction. That’s no easy feat when you have four adults, two kids, three cats and a snake all in one place 24/7.

This has been hardest on my nine-year-old, Ben. He is a highly energetic, extremely extroverted kid. He misses his friends and he is struggling with not interrupting the working adults. To fill the time he has been playing a lot of Skyrim. Currently, his PC is a dark elf with two adopted daughters. This has prompted him to tell me all about how hard it is to be a single mother.

My face when Ben tells me his children in Skyrim will never have to do chore

I decided to approach this as a challenge: using only what I have on hand. Seeing how we’re stuck at home I guess that’s less of a challenge and more of a necessity, but we’re gonna go with “challenge”. I dug out a yard of dark blue denim that I had been gifted from a friend’s destash. I found a vector image of the Skyrim logo online and a bottle of gold fabric paint from the Chris Gerrib commission in a basket for the stencil.

Making the sheath was simply a matter of measuring the sword’s length and width to make a fabric tube. I made sure to add an extra inch to the width so the sword could be sheathed easily. I tried to include Ben in the planning stage, but he got bored of the math pretty quickly, muttered something about needing to check in on his daughters, and left me to my work.

I sewed the opening hem, and then attached the belt loop. The stencil was the most difficult part. I spent probably an hour sizing the image and then cutting it out with an xacto knife. Once the paint dried I sewed the side and bottom seams. I decided, after the fact, that I wanted the bottom pointed, so I traced the sword point onto the fabric, and sewed on those lines. It was the most slap-dash part of the whole project and I’m not happy with how that turned out.

I made a matching belt. If I had my preference I would have used a belt buckle, but all I had on hand were D-rings. After Ben had played with the sheath for the day, I went back and added a bit of fabric to the top of the sheath to help him hold it steady when sheathing the sword.

Overall the project took only a couple of hours. Ben is already asking about sheathes for his other swords. I bet there’s a show out there where crafters have to make something with just the materials in their stash. If not, there should be. I’d rock it.